Tuesday, February 10, 2009

They don't make 'em like this anymore (Thank Goodness!)

I thought I try and take an informal inventory of Uncle Ferd's tools and supplies in the garage last night when I came across his old pesticides. And when I say old, I mean old.

Considering the fact that DDT was taken off the market on Dec. 31, 1972, the right red canister on the top shelf is no less than 36 years old. If possible, the red cannister to left is even scarier: Lead Arsenate. This is the stuff that DDT replaced in 1947... The search for a substitute had been on since 1919 and DDT was the kinder, gentler pesticide. This pesticide is even used to control earthworms. Yikes. Kind of ironic since I'm purposely keeping earthworms out in the barn for castings and a high protein chicken feed supplement. (Ugh, I hope they don't freeze!) According to Wikipedia, Lead Arsenate wasn't used much after the late 50's. However, this house wasn't built until 1960, so who knows how long it has been sitting there. For all I know, it was moved over from Uncle Ferd and Aunt Mary's previous house. This stuff is OLD.

2 comments:

  1. I'm telling you, those are TOXIC ASSETS. You should demand that Henry Paulson pays you billions of dollars of public money to take them off your hands.
    Except for the Lead Arsenate. That stuff just gets better with age, and 1947 was a very good year.

    ~MKUltra

    ReplyDelete